Thank you Follett
Utah Library Partners,
I’m looking forward to seeing everyone at the UELMA conference this week and wanted to inform you of some exciting things Follett will be doing this year.
• Stop by the booth and say hello! We will be on the second level just outside of the main ballrooms (where the general sessions and lunch take place).
• Follett will have a large selection of books on display for your review. The conference theme this year is “Libraries are for Everyone” and the books were chosen with that in mind. It’s a wide range of PK-12 in Fiction and high interest Non-fiction. Titles cover large print, Hi/Lo, and other supports for striving readers; SEL, communities, beliefs, social issues, abilities, backgrounds; Bi-lingual and cultural; STEM/STEAM, DIY, coding, creating; and on and on and on!
• REMINDER: Please download the Titlewave app if you don’t already have it. It allows you to quickly scan UPC codes on the back of any book to easily add it to your wish list. You can then add other books from that series and easily save to an existing, or new, list. It’s a great way to ensure that your library is for everyone!
• All the books and series that you will see at our booth will be given away throughout the day. Prizes will be announced at the morning, noon, and closing general sessions and during our breakout sessions. Be sure to follow UELMA on Twitter (@UELMA_Utah), Instagram (@uelma_librarians), and Facebook (@UELMA.org) to stay up to date with all our prize drawings.
• Follett has created a Curiosity Center again this year full of Makerspace items and experts. We have brought experts from BreakOut EDU, Cubelets, Piper Computer, and UBTech! This is an opportunity for you to explore, investigate, and learn (just like you are providing to your students). The experts are on hand so come armed with lots of questions about how things work; how are they best adapted to be used in your library; how can you advocate for your library by expanding use into the classroom; how do the items scaffold to be used by the same students in new ways over the years, etc. And, some of their items will also be included in the prize drawings! Here are a few examples:
• We will be presenting in 3 sessions this year. At 10:10 AM Pam DeMar will talk about promoting your library through Destiny Discover. At 1:00 PM I am discussing how to benefit from Titlewave tools (and a few tricks in Destiny) to make sure that your library IS for everyone, and/or what you can do to get there. Finally, at 2:20 PM I will be talking Makerspace with Michele Edgley from Salt Lake SD. It will be a great session focusing on grant writing and providing evidence in your grant on how your Makerspace program will improve student scores and outcomes!
That covers quite a bit for the day! If you haven’t registered yet there is still time to do so on Eventbrite at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/utah-educational-library-media-association-annual-conference-2020-tickets-69384846945. It looks to be a great conference and there are exciting things coming for Utah libraries in the near future. We hope you can make it and we look forward to seeing you Friday!
Dave Brown – your Follett rep.